The Boardman brand received wide acclaim recently for its pricier Elite range of carbon-framed road bikes for the fanatical end of the market. Today it announced a range of four bikes and a frameset specifically for time-triallists and triathletes.
With a simply stated aim “to defy physics” the result according to the Boardman release is a “super fast and a very superior racing machine.”
Of course, that remains to be seen, but the man Boardman in his heyday was the consummate time-trial specialist with a passionate interest in his bikes. As there has been a whole host of ‘leaked’ videos of the frames in wind-tunnel tests and already some success under the United Healthcare pros at the recent Amgen Tour of California, we can take it as read that the new machines won’t be lacking in the Boardman touches.
AiR/TT 9.8: Very much the flagship with Zipps, SRAM Red and an FSA Trimax chainset for £6,999.99.
With prices ranging from £1,999.99 for the AiR/TT 9.0 to £6999.99 for the AiR/TT 9.8, with the frameset alone at £1,599.99, they’d better be good as they are competing with some very well established names as well as ultra-specialists in the notoriously finicky triathlon world.
There’s certainly no lack of Three Letter Abbreviations in the presentation, “The AiR (Aerodynamic Racing) TT frames have undergone a rigorous research and development and prototype testing process. Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Finite Element Analysis (FEA), wind tunnel and real world testing combine to result in the aerodynamic, super fast AiR/TT frames. We’ve gone beyond wind tunnel testing – factoring real world scenarios to create a truly versatile, devastating speed machine.”
According to Chris Boardman, “FEA, CFD, Pro Team testing and 20 years of experience have all been distilled in this totally performance-focused product. There isn’t a single square centimetre of the AiR/TT that doesn’t have a performance rationale behind it.”
Unlike the ‘Performance’ range of Boardman bikes which is available through over 400 branches of Halfords, the new Elite bikes will be available through a ‘select’ group of Independant Bike Dealers to reflect the higher degree of expertise and fitting required. The first of these dealers has also been announced today in Echelon Cycles based at Pershore, Worcestershire.
International sales outside the UK and Republic of Ireland for both the Boardman Performance and Elite ranges will be handled by online retailer Wiggle.
- New AiR/TT Aerodynamic Racing frame, fork, brakes and seatpost included.
- Full high modulus carbon fibre monocoque construction.
- CFD and Wind tunnel developed tube profiles.
- Down tube, seat tube and seatpost shaped for real world head and cross wind conditions.
- Internal front brake enclosed within fork structure to maximise clean air around the frame.
- Rear brake is positioned under the BB to maximise clean air at the rear of the frame.
- Forks and seat stays flat inside and curved outside surfaces for enhanced airflow.
- One-piece BB30 bottom bracket and oversize box section chainstays
- Full internal cable routing for airflow enhancement and clean lines.
- Stable, precise geometry to cope will all race situations.
- Full carbon fork with tapered fork steerer for increased stiffness and steering precision.
- Reversible seat post means riding position can be dialled to either TT or Triathlon disciplines.
AiR/TT 9.4: Keeping it real at £3,999.99 but still with SRAM Red drivetrain and deep carbon wheels.
AiR/TT 9.2: Clever combination of parts to keep the price within sensible bounds. £2,699.99
AiR/TT 9.0: This is the same frame, mind, and still under 20lbs for £1,999.99
Related Story: Boardman goes global with new range