Edvald Boasson Hagen (Sky) continued his solid season with a win at the Vattenfall Cyclassic in Hamburg, Germany, on Sunday. The Norwegian sprinted ahead of German Gerald Ciolek (Quick Step) to take the win, with Borut Bozic (Vacansoleil) claiming third.
Boasson Hagen’s win in the one-day WorldTour race has moved him up to eighth in the Union Cycliste Internationale’s latest WorldTour Ranking, published on Monday afternoon. Boasson Hagen won the Eneco Tour overall last week, and won two stages of the Tour de France in July.
Tour de France winner Cadel Evans (BMC) stills sits at the top of the ranking with 574 points. Evans’ future BMC team-mate Philippe Gilbert (Omega Pharma-Lotto) is in second spot with 568 points. Spaniard Alberto Contador (Saxo Bank) is third with 471 points.
Boasson Hagen’s win has moved Sky up to fifth from seventh in the ranking-by-team, which is currently led by Leopard-Trek.
Spain continue to be the top-ranked nation ahead of Italy and Australia. Great Britain maintains its position as sixth best nation.
The UCI’s WorldTour Ranking is compiled using a points system, with points awarded for one-day race, tour stage and stage race overall finishing positions for events in the UCI’s WorldTour.
The amount of points awarded depends on the ranking of the event. For example, winning the Tour de France overall gives a rider twice as many points as winning the Eneco Tour overall.
The next counting event in the UCI WorldTour will be the GP Plouay (August 28). The Vuelta a Espana starts on Saturday, August 20, but points are not added to the ranking until the race ends on September 11.
UCI WorldTour individual ranking: August 22
1. Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing 574 points
2. Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 568 points
3. Alberto Contador (Spa) Saxo Bank-Sungard 471 points
4. Michele Scarponi (Ita) Lampre-ISD 348 points
5. Joaquin Rodriguez (Spa) Katusha 328 points
6. Samuel Sanchez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 307 points
7. Frank Schleck (Lux) Leopard-Trek 284 points
8. Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Sky 260 points
9. Andy Schleck (Lux) Leopard-Trek 252 points
10. Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Leopard-Trek 250 points
Ranking by nation
1. Spain 1306 points
2. Italy 1041 points
3. Australia 1022 points
4. Belgium 998 points
5. Germany 641 points
6. Great Britain 576 points
Ranking by team
1. Leopard-Trek 949 points
2. BMC Racing Team 874 points
3. Omega Pharma-Lotto 855 points
4. HTC-Highroad 764 points
5. Team Sky 702 points
August 15: Gilbert closing in on Evans in WorldTour Ranking
Boasson Hagen wins Eneco final stage and overall
August 8: Britain up to seventh in UCI World Ranking
July 25: Evans tops latest UCI WorldTour Ranking
2011 WorldTour calendar