Alberto Contador (Saxo Bank-Tinkoff Bank) continued his comeback from a doping suspension with a win in the Milan-Turn one-day race in Italy on Wednesday.
Contador escaped from the peloton on the 199-kilometre race’s final climb to take a solo win. Diego Ulissi (Lampre-ISD) came home in second, with Fredrik Kessiakoff (Astana) in third.
Tour of Lombardy hopefuls Joaquin Rodriguez (Katusha) and Vincenzo Nibali (Liquigas-Cannondale) were fourth and ninth respectively.
Contador won the Vuelta a Espana in September having served a doping suspension for failing a test for clenbuterol at the 2010 Tour de France.
Many of the riders in Milan-Turin will line up on Saturday for the final European WorldTour race of the season – the Tour of Lombardy. Another pre-Lombardy warm-up race, Giro del Piemonte, takes place tomorrow (Thursday).
Milan-Turin 2012: 199km
1. Alberto Contador (Spa) Saxo Bank-Tinkoff-Bank in 3-32-12
2. Diego Ulissi (Ita) Lampre-ISD
3. Fredrik Kessiakoff (Swe) Astana
4. Joaquin Rodriguez (Spa) Katusha
5. Carlos Betancur (Col) Acqua & Sapone
6. Fabio Taborre (Ita) Acqua & Sapone
7. Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) Colnago-CSF Inox
8. Chris Anker Sorensen (Den) Saxo Bank-Tinkoff Bank
9. Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale
10. Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Androni Giocattoli
Alberto Contador wins Milan-Turin
Ulissi, Contador and Kessiakoff on the podium
Tour of Lombardy 2012: The Big Preview