Michal Kwiatkowski retains overall lead after placing third behind Alberto Contador on mountain stage
Alberto Contador (Tinkoff-Saxo) took his first victory of the season, winning stage four of the Tour of the Algarve on Saturday.
World champion Rui Costa (Lampre-Merida) placed second at the mountain-top finish of Alto do Malhao, with race leader Michal Kwiatkowski (Omega Pharma-QuickStep) in third.
With one stage remaining in the race, Kwiatkowski now looks set to take the overall victory as he leads Contador by 16 seconds, and Costa by 29 seconds.
Tour of the Algarve 2014, stage four
1. Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo in 4-02-08
2. Rui Costa (Por) Lampre-Merida at 3 secs
3. Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Omega Pharma-QuickStep at 10 secs
4. Eduard Prades (Spa) OFM-Quinta Da Lixa at 13 secs
5. Tiago Machado (Por) Netapp-Endura at same time
Overall classification after stage four
1. Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Omega Pharma-QuickStep in 13-05-50
2. Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo at 16 secs
3. Rui Costa (Por) Lampre-Merida at 29 secs
4. Alexandre Geniez (Fra) Fdj at 1-10
5. Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin at 1-29
Michal Kwiatkowski thrashed Adriano Malori and time trial world champion Tony Martin in a race against the clock to win More…
Omega Pharma-Quick Step rider Michal Kwiatkowski holds off the charging Alberto Contador and world champion Rui Costa after bold attack
Lampre-Merida sprinter Sacha Modolo wins opening stage of the 2014 Volta ao Algarve