Elinor Barker (Wiggle-Honda) and Felix English (Rapha-Condor-JLT) took the honours in front of bumper crowds at the prestigious Otley Cycle Races last night.
18 year-old Barker out-sprinted prolific criterium winner Hannah Barnes (MG-Maxifuel) after finding the perfect line around the final bend of the Yorkshire town centre course.
She also ensured her name will be the first down on the list of winners for the women’s event, which was run for the first time this year. Harriet Owen (Matrix Fitness) was third.
Later in the evening, English came out on top from a group of six riders that broke away early on in the race. Despite a late move from local boy Tom Moses (Raleigh), the 20 year-old former track sprinter found enough energy to jump past and solo to the line.
UK Youth’s Tobyn Horton was first to the line in the following group, pipping Andrew Hawdon (Herbalife-LeisureLakesBikes) into third.
The win was the second this year for English, following his victory in the Milk Race in Nottingham in May, and he now leads the Elite Circuit Series ahead of this Friday’s Stockton Town Centre Race.
Elinor Barker does what Laura Trott didn’t and beats Hannah Barnes in a sprint
Rapha’s Felix English takes the flowers for the win in the men’s race
Nuflex Muscle and Joint Gels Otley Women’s Grand Prix
1. Elinor Barker (Wiggle-Honda)
2. Hannah Barnes (MG-Maxifuel)
3. Harriet Owen (Matrix Fitness)
4. Melissa Lowther (Matrix Fitness)
5. Louise Borthwick (Edinburgh RC)
6. Jessie Walker (Matrix Fitness)
7. Annie Simpson (Hope Factory Racing)
8. Corrine Hall (Matrix Fitness)
9. Hayley Jones (Node4-Giordana)
10. Hannah Walker (Matrix Fitness)
MAS Design Consultants Otley Grand Prix
1. Felix English (Rapha-Condor-JLT)
2. Tobyn Horton (UK Youth)
3. Andrew Hawdon (Herbalife-LeisureLakesBikes)
4. George Atkins (100%ME)
5. Dan Barry (Node4-Giordana)
6. Tom Moses (Raleigh)
7. Ian Wilkinson (UK Youth)
8. Dean Downing (Madison-Genesis)
9. Chris Latham (100%ME)