Marcel Kittel (Giant-Shimano) won his third successive stage in the race to secure the points classification with a dominant performance.
Mark Renshaw stepped up to lead sprint duties and placed second after his Omega Pharma-QuickStep team lost Mark Cavendish to an unfortunately-timed mechanical issue in the finale. Andrea Guardini (Astana) completed the top three.
Peter Sagan (Cannondale) was ruled out of the final sprint after taking a tumble in the final four kilometres, much to his obvious dissatisfaction. He dropped out of the top 10 overall as a result.
The day’s escape group comprised Francisco Mancebo (Skydive Dubai), Pier Paolo De Negri (Vini Fantini-Nippo) and Jay McCarthy (Tinkoff-Saxo), but they were caught with 13km to go as BMC and the sprinters’ teams wound up the pace.
British rider Steven Cummings (BMC Racing) was second behind team-mate Phinney overall at 15 seconds, with Lasse Norman Hansen (Garmin-Sharp) in third at 17 seconds.
Dubai Tour 2014 stage four: Dubai to Burj-Khalifa, 123km
1. Marcel Kittel (Ger) Giant-Shimano in 2-41-09
2. Mark Renshaw (Aus) Omega Pharma-QuickStep
3. Andrea Guardini (Ita) Astana
4. Roberto Ferrari (Ita) Lampre-Merida
5. Alexandr Porsey (Rus) Katusha
6. Daniele Ratto (Ita) Cannondale
7. Niccolo Bonifazio (Ita) Lampre-Merida
8. Takashi Miyazawa (Jap) Vini Fantini-Nippo
9. Lucas Haedo (Arg) Skydive Dubai
10. Juan Jose Lobato (Spa) Movistar all same time
Final overall classification
1. Taylor Phinney (USA) BMC Racing in 9-31-33
2. Steve Cummings (GBr) BMC Racing at 15 secs
3. Lasse Norman Hansen (Den) Garmin-Sharp at 17 secs
4. Tony Martin (Ger) Omega Pharma-QuickStep at 23 secs
5. Fabian Cancellara (Swi) Trek Factory Racing at 30 secs
6. Marcel Kittel (Ger) Giant-Shimano at 30 secs
7. Adriano Malori (Ita) Movistar at 37 secs
8. Maciej Bodnar (Pol) Cannondale at 40 secs
9. Peter Velits (Svk) BMC Racing at 42 secs
10. Dylan Van Baarle (Ned) Garmin Sharp at 42 secs
Marcel Kittel (Ger) Giant-Shimano
Young rider classification
Taylor Phinney (USA) BMC Racing
Willem Smit (RSA) Vini Fantini-Nippo