Frank Schleck (Saxo Bank) took his first victory of the 2010 season by winning the second stage of the Tour de Luxembourg on Friday.
Schleck’s breakaway companion Matteo Carrara (Vacansoleil) came home in second on the tough 202.7km stage, and took over the general classifcation lead in the process. Defending champion Schleck is now second overall.
Team Sky’s Juan Antonio Flecha finished third, with Lance Armstrong (RadioShack) coming home in sixth to keep his third spot overall. Flecha moves up to fourth overall.
Britain’s Ian Stannard (Team Sky), who came sixth in Thursday’s opening road stage, came in 72nd place, nine minutes and 43 seconds adrift of Schleck.
The five-day Tour de Luxembourg concludes on Sunday, June 6.
Tour de Luxembourg 2010, stage two: Schifflange – Differdange, 202.7km
1. Frank Schleck (Lux) Saxo Bank in 5-10-38
2. Matteo Carrara (Ita) Vacansoleil at same time
3. Juan Antonio Flecha (Spa) Team Sky at 35sec
4. Serguei Ivanov (Rus) Katusha at 35sec
5. Bjorn Leukemans (Bel) Vacansoleil at 36sec
6. Lance Armstrong (USA) RadioShack at 36sec
7. Alexandre Geniez (Fra) Skil-Shimano at 36sec
8. Sergey Lagutin (Uzb) Vacansoleil at 53sec
9. Patrick Sinkewitz (Ger) ISD-Neri at 53sec
10. Serge Pauwels (Bel) Team Sky at 53sec
72. Ian Stannard (GB) Team Sky at 9-43
Overall classification after stage two
1. Matteo Carrara (Ita) Vacansoleil
2. Frank Schleck (Lux) Saxo Bank at 1sec
3. Lance Armstrong (USA) RadioShackat 30sec
4. Juan Antonio Flecha (Spa) Team Sky at 34sec
5. Serguei Ivanov (Rus) Katusha at 34sec
6. Bjorn Leukemans (Bel) Vacansoleil at 35sec
7. Alexandre Geniez (Fra) Skil-Shimano at 39sec
8. Andreas Kloden (Ger) RadioShack at 50sec
9. Cyril Lemoine (Fra) Saur-Sojasun at 51sec
10. Gregory Rast (Swi) RadioShack at 51sec
69. Ian Stannard (GB) Team Sky at 9-55
Lance Armstrong finishes in sixth
Frank Schleck takes his first win of 2010