BRITAIN ANNOUNCES POWERFUL WORLDS SQUAD
Great Britain have named a 23-strong squad for the World Track Championships in Manchester from March 26-30.
• One of the key selection issues was the competition for places in the men's team sprint. Craig MacLean and Jason Queally have been left out, narrowing the battle for the final trio down to five. However, both MacLean and Queally are still in the running for an Olympic place later in the year
• Young pursuiter Steven Burke gets a call-up after making his debut in the team quartet at the Copenhagen World Cup last month
• Two young sprinters – David Daniell of Middlesbrough and Jess Varnish of Bromsgrove – are perhaps the only surprise names on the list. Daniell has won five gold medals in the past two years in the junior world and European track championships
• Victoria Pendleton's aim to challenge for four gold medals in the five-day championships is still on the cards
• Wendy Houvenaghel, Rebecca Romero, Jo Rowsell and Lizzie Armitstead are the four names in the mix to make Great Britain's debut in the women's team pursuit