Wiggins poised for place on Sun Tour podium
Bradley Wiggins, Tour of Britain 2009
Bradley Wiggins (Garmin-Slipstream) moved up to third overall in the Jayco Herald Sun Tour after stage three of the Australian race on Wednesday .
The British rider's Garmin team-mate Chris Sutton scored another stage win, giving him the race lead. It was 25 years ago that Sutton's father, Gary, won the race overall.
Sutton junior battled through stiff winds to take the sprint win from Jonathan Cantwell (Fly V Australia) and
David Tanner (Rock Racing) in third.
Wiggins was fifth on the stage - he's been in the top five in all three stages so far - which moved him up to third overall.
Three stages of the race remain, and Friday's stage is - crucially - a 10km individual test against the clock in Geelong. If Wiggins puts in a solid ride, he could easily win that stage and secure a spot on the podium before Saturday's final criterium stage in Melbourne.
Jayco Herald Sun Tour 2009: Warrnambool-Apollo Bay, 164km
1. Chris Sutton (Aus) Garmin-Slipstream in 3-48-58
2. Jonathan Cantwell (Aus) Fly V Australia
3. David Tanner (Aus) Rock Racing
4. Tom Peterson (USA) Garmin-Slipstream
5. Bradley Wiggins (GB) Garmin-Slipstream
6. Mitchell Pearson (Aus) Prime Estate
7. Leigh Howard (Aus) Jayco Australia at same time
8. David Mccann (Irl) Prime Estate at 2secs
9. Peter Latham (NZl) Bissell
10. Philip Zajicek (Aus) Fly V Australia at same time
Overall classification after stage three
1. Chris Sutton (Aus) Garmin-Slipstream in 11-04-08
2. Jonathan Cantwell (Aus) Fly V Australia at 1sec
3. Bradley Wiggins (GB) Garmin-Slipstream at 35secs
4. Matthew Wilson (Aus) Jayco Australia at 45secs
5. Svein Tuft (Can) Garmin-Slipstream at 55secs
6. David Tanner (Aus) Rock Racing at 1-25
7. Philip Zajicek (Aus) Fly V Australia at 1-30
8. Aaron Kemps (Aus) Rock Racing at 1-35
9. Ben Jacques-Maynes (USA) Bissell at same time
10. Bernard Van Ulden (USA) Jelly Belly at 1-39