Boasson Hagen moves into lead in Oman
Edvald Boasson Hagen take overall lead, Tour of Oman 2010, stage two
Edvald Boasson Hagen (Team Sky) has moved into the overall lead in the inaugural Tour of Oman.
The Norwegian came home in third spot on 148.5km stage two from Nizwa to Samail behind bunch sprint winner Daniele Bennati (Liquigas) and Tyler Farrar (Garmin-Transitions).
Boasson Hagen's third coupled with his second place on the opening stage was enough to unseat stage one winner Jimmy Casper (Saur-Sojasun) from the head of the overall classification.
Earlier in the day, British rider Alex Dowsett (Trek-LiveStrong) played a key part in a stage-long break with Belgian Kristof Vandewalle (Topsport Vlaanderen-Mercator), Luxembourger Ben Gastauer (Ag2r) and American Jackson Stewart (BMC Racing Team). Their break was reeled in 11km from the finish line as the sprinters' squads brought the race back together, but the intermediate time bonuses were enough to propel Dowsett into eighth place overall.
It's Boasson Hagen's second leader's jersey of the 2010 season - he wore the leader's jersey after stage one in the Tour of Qatar after Team Sky blitzed the opening team time trial.
Top British finisher of the day was Roger Hammond (Cervelo), who came home in seventh spot at the same time as Bennati.
The six-day Tour of Oman runs from Sunday February 14 to Friday February 19 2010.
Tuesday's 124km stage three runs from Saifat Ash Shiekh to Qurayyat.
Tour of Oman 2010: Stage two
1. Daniele Bennati (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo
2. Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin-Transitions
3. Edvald Boasson-Hagen (Nor) Team Sky
4. Matti Breschel (Den) Saxo Bank
5. Danilo Napolitano (Ita) Katusha
6. Andreas Klier (Ger) Cervelo
7. Roger Hammond (GB) Cervelo
8. Bernhard Eisel (Aut) HTC-Columbia
9. Romain Feillu (Fra) Vacansoleil
10. Jimmy Casper (Fra) Saur-Sojasun all same time.
73. Daniel Lloyd (GB) Cervelo
80. Alex Dowsett (GB) Trek-LiveStrong at same time
122. Ian Stannard (GB) Team Sky at 45secs
124. Geraint Thomas (GB) Team Sky at 1-04
Overall classification after stage two
1. Edvald Boasson-Hagen (Nor) Team Sky
2. Jimmy Casper (Fra) Saur-Sojasun
3. Daniele Bennati (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo at same time
4. Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin-Transitions at 4secs
5. Kenny De Haes (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto at 6secs
6. Kristof Vandewalle (Bel) Topsport Vlaanderen-Mercator at same time
7. Ben Gastauer (Lux) Ag2r at 7secs
8. Alex Dowsett (GB) Trek-LiveStrong at 8secs
9. Danilo Napolitano (Ita) Katusha at 10secs
10. Bernhard Eisel (Aut) HTC-Columbia at same time.
34. Roger Hammond (GB) Cervelo at 10secs
62. Daniel Lloyd (GB) Cervelo at 10secs
121. Ian Stannard (GB) Team Sky at 55secs
124. Geraint Thomas (GB) Team Sky at 1-14
Daniele Bennati takes the stage two win
Alex Dowsett was part of a four-man escape group for most of the stage
Edvald Boasson Hagen takes the race lead for Team Sky
Tour of Oman 2010, stage two photo gallery by Graham Watson
Dowsett in escape group in Oman stage 2
Tour of Oman, stage one report: Boasson Hagen second
Tour of Oman 2010, stage one photo gallery by Graham Watson
Tour of Oman 2010: Preview and guide