Jebb wins eighth Three Peaks title
Rob Jebb descends Pen-y-ghent, Three Peaks Cyclo-Cross 2010
Rob Jebb took an eighth Three Peaks title on Sunday. The Staverley-based Wheelbase rider took the inititive over the first climb of Ingleborough and held a minute gap over the chasing field led by last year's winner Nick Craig of Scott UK.
Once over the summit, the time gap by the road section to Chapel Le Dale and the start of the ascent of Whernside was nearly two minutes.
Jebb's plan had been to stay with the one bike this year rather than change to a road bike as in previous years. However, a rear puncture on the descent of Whernside forced a bike change for the road section to Pen-y-ghent.
Changing back to his cross bike for the final ascent up Pen-y-ghent, Jebb had a comfortable five minute lead on Craig which he was able to hold to the finish at Helwith Bridge.
Reigning champion Renee Saxton of Otley AC took the womens title with past winners Heather Dawe and Isla Rowntree taking the remaining podium positions.
Full report and pictures in this week's Cycling Weekly magazine
Three Peaks cyclo-cross 2010
1. Rob Jebb (Wheelbase.co.uk/Cannondale/Gore Bike Wear) in 2-57-11
2. Nick Craig (Scott UK) 3-02-39
3. Ian Taylor (Craven Energy Tri) 3-13-32
4. Lewis Craven (Wheelbase.co.uk/Cannondale/Gore Bike Wear) 3-13-39
5. Andy Peace (Crosstrax) 3-15-40
6. Neil Crampton (Crosstrax) 3-16-23
7. Steven Macinnes (Isle of Mull CC) 3-17-18
8. Geoffrey Beetham (Retrobike.co.uk) 3-18-08
9. Noel Clough (Fietsen Tempo/Chapters/The House) 3-19-03
10. Thomas Randall (Wakefield Triathlon Club) 3-19-37
1. Renee Saxton (Otley AC) in 4-19-54
2. Heather Dawe (JD Cycles Ilkley) 4-22-26
3. Isla Rowntree (Stourbridge CC) 4-25-46
Rob Jebb ascends Pen-y-ghent
Jebb on Simon Fell
Nick Craig on Pen-y-ghent
Women's winner Renee Saxton
Three Peaks always attracts a big field of riders
Women's podium (l-r): Heather Dawe (second), Renee Saxton (winner), Isla Rowntree (third)
Men's podium (l-r): Nick Craig (second), Rob Jebb (winner), Ian Taylor (third)