Swift wins final stage of Castilla y Leon
Ben Swift wins final stage of 2011 Castilla y Leon
Britain's Ben Swift (Sky) has taken the final stage of the five-day Tour of Castilla y León in a bunch sprint, ahead of local fastmen Francisco Ventoso (Movistar) and Ruben Perez (Euskaltel-Euskadi).
Sky were always in a dominating position in the race's last day, sending Alex Dowsett up the road in a break of nine.
Dowsett tried to go clear from the move as the gap closed but when the bunch brought him and the other eight back, Swift was waiting in the wings to take over.
The final stage, a flattish 167 kilometre run from Madrigal de las Altas Torres to Medina del Campo, always looked as if it would end in a bunch sprint.
The overall victory went to Xavi Tondo (Movistar), the best placed overall contender on the toughest mountain stage on Friday and again in the crucial stage four time trial, won by Alberto Contador (Saxo Bank).
Contador was expected to be in contention overall but an untimely puncture on the mountain stage with a few kilometres to go left him battling for stage wins.
Swift, meanwhile, has taken his third win of the season, and the first since he took two in the Tour Down Under back in January.
Vuelta a Castilla y Leon 2011, stage five: Madrigal de Las Altas Torres to Medina del Campo, 167.7km
1. Ben Swift (GB) Sky in 3-30-00
2. Francisco Ventoso (Spa) Movistar
3. Ruben Perez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi
4. Theo Bos (Ned) Rabobank
5. Manuel Belletti (Ita) Colnago-CSF Inox
6. Matteo Pelucchi (Ita) Geox-TMC
7. Joaquin Sobrino (Spa) Caja Rural
8. Diego Milan (Spa) Caja Rural
9. Jon Aberasturi (Spa) Orbea
10. Manuel Anton (Spa) Burgos 2016-Castilla y Leon
Final overall classification
1. Xavier Tondo (Spa) Movistar in 17-01-40
2. Bauke Mollema (Ned) Rabobank at 9 secs
3. Igor Anton (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi at 17 secs
4. Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) Colnago-CSF Inox at 40 secs
5. Jerome Coppel (Fra) Saur-Sojasun at 47 secs
Brit Ben Swift takes the final stage win
Downing third in Castilla y Leon stage two