Leipheimer wins 2011 Tour of Utah overall
American Levi Leipheimer (Radioshack) made up for a Tour de France peppered by bad luck by winning the 2011 Tour of Utah overall on Sunday.
Defending champion Leipheimer stayed in contact with Colombian climber Sergio Henao (Gobernacion De Antioquia) up the final, punishing climb to Snowbird. Henao took the stage win, with Leipheimer following his wheel to take the overall classification.
Henao finished the race 23 seconds behind Leipheimer to claim second overall. Leipheimer's Radioshack team-mate Janez Brajkovic placed third on the stage to come third overall - a great result after crashing out of the Tour de France with a broken collarbone last month. The Slovenian will now turn his attention to the Vuelta a Espana this weekend.
British riders Rob Partridge and Scott Thwaites (both Endura Racing) finished the gruelling final stage in 71st and 72nd place respectively. Their Endura team punched well above its weight during the event, with Jack Bauer claiming a stage win. The squad finished sixth overall in the team classification ahead of Liquigas-Cannondale.
Last week, British team Sky announced that it had signed Henao for 2012.
Tour of Utah 2011
Final overall classification
1. Levi Leipheimer (USA) Radioshack in 15-53-12
2. Sergio Henao (Col) Gobernacion De Antioquia-Indeportes Antio at 23 secs
3. Janez Brajkovic (Slo) Radioshack at 45 secs
4. Oscar Sevilla Ribera (Esp) Gobernacion De Antioquia-Indeportes Antio at 1-54
5. Thomas Danielson (USA) Garmin-Cervelo at 3-49
6. Christian Vandevelde (USA) Garmin-Cervelo at 3-51
7. Timothy Duggan (USA) Liquigas-Cannondale at 4-44
8. Pat McCarty (USA) Spidertech at 5-03
9. Lucas Euser (USA) Spidertech at 5-34
10. Jeff Louder (USA) BMC Racing at 7-31
19. Rene Mandri (Est) Endura Racing at 11-07
56. Rob Partridge (GB) Endura Racing at 35-16
76. Scott Thwaites (GB) Endura Racing at 48-32