Storms wins Waller Pain hill-climb
John Storms, winner, Waller Pain Hill-Climb 2012
John Storms (Kingston Wheelers) won the 2012 edition of the Waller Pain hill-climb in Caterham, Surrey, on Sunday.
Storms missed out on matching the event record by just three seconds, completing the 0.31 mile course with 210 feet of ascent on Waller Lane in one minute and 17 seconds. Matthew Pilkington set the record last year with 1-14, but was absent from the event this time around.
James Graham (GS Gazzetta) was second, with Nigel Wynn (Cycling Weekly) in third.
Gem Atkinson (Rapha Condor) posted the fastest women's time of 1-59 and set a new women's course record in the process.
Oliver Cliff (VC Londres) also bettered the previous marker for Youth rider with his time of 1-39. Molly Cooke was fastest female youth rider.
With the emphasis on all-inclusive fun, the winners of the remaining two categories, unsympathetically called Fat Dad and Fit Mum, were Mark Pettifor and Jo Bas-Thornton respectively.
Waller Pain hill-climb 2012: Senior men
1. John Storms (Kingston Wheelers) in 1-17
2. James Graham (GS Gazzetta) 1-24
3. Nigel Wynn (Cycling Weekly) 1-24
4. Tom Willard (Going Backwards) 1-37
5. James Rowland (Skid Marx CC) 1-38
6. Simon Rowland (GS Gazzetta) 1-43
7. Paul Morgan 1-44
8. Matt Miller 1-44
9. Patrick Trainor (Norwood Paragon) 1-44
10. Stephen Roach (Norwood Paragon) 1-47
1. Gem Atkinson (Rapha Condor) 1-59
2. Alison Whyatt 2-43
1. Oliver Cliff (VC Londres) 1-39
2. Thomas Hawkes (Addiscombe CC) 3-00
3. Andrew Hambleton 3-05
1. Molly Cook 4-15
2. Katie Morgan-Williams 4-41
3. Freya Greatwood 5-38
1. Jo Bas-Thornton 2-44
1. Mark Pettifor 2-37
Youth winner Oliver Cliff
Fastest 'dad' Mark Pettifor
Women's winner Gem Atkinson
Overall winner John Storms
Cliff, Storms and Pettifor