Stannard romps to Nocturne win in London
Ian Stannard put in a dominant display to win the Smithfield Nocturne in London on Saturday night. The Sky rider went on the attack on the first lap and by the time he crossed the floodlit finish line he'd lapped the field and ridden away from them.
Rapha Condor Sharp's Kristian House was second as he was the only rider to live with Stannard's pace and lap the bunch, but like everyone else, he couldn't do anything to stop Stannard riding away on the final lap to take a solo win.
The pair had been part of a four man group that also contained Niklas Gustavsson (UK Youth) and Davide Appollonio (Team Sky) that escaped within the first few laps.
There wasn't so much an attack that formed the group instead the constant pressure applied by Stannard on the front stretched the bunch until it splintered. Of those caught behind was Orica-GreenEdge sprinter Matt Goss.
Obviously recovered from May's Giro d'Italia Stannard looks to be in excellent shape just a few weeks ahead of the national championships and Olympic selection. Earlier in the evening he won the Elimination race.
Hannah Barnes won the women's race ahead of Hannah Welter of the Netherlands and Belinda Goss (Escentual For VioRed). The race ended in a bunch sprint as Barnes, the current national criterium champion, edged passed at least three riders in the last 50 metres.
Other events that entertained the thousands of spectators included a National A crit race, penny farthing race, longest skid event, and, perhaps most popular of all, a folding bike race.
IG Markets Smithfield Nocturne results
Saint-Gobain Elite criterium
1. Ian Stannard (GBr) Team Sky
2. Kristian House (GBr) Rapha Condor Sharp
3. Niklas Gustavsson (Swe) UK Youth
4. Davide Appollonio (Ita) Team Sky
5. Dan Holloway (GBr) Raleigh-GAC
Rapha Women's Criterium
1. Hannah Barnes (GBr) Team Ibis Cycles
2. Hannah Welter (Ned) The Netherlands
3. Belinda Goss (Aus) Escentual For VioRed
4. Julia Soek (Ned) The Netherlands
5. Harriot Owen (GBr) Node4 Giordana
Leigh Day Kermesse
1. William Pratt (Dulwich Paragon)
2. Mike Debney (London Dynamo)
3. Wayne Crombie (East London Velo)
4. Steve Golla (High Wycombe CC)
5. Harry Franklin (Stevens-Bikes.co.uk)