Tyler Farrar wins Tour of California stage four
Tyler Farrar gave Garmin-Sharp double the reason to celebrate on Wednesday, winning stage four of the Tour of California just hours after team-mate Ramunas Navardauskas took a stage win in the Giro d'Italia.
Farrar sprinted to win in Santa Barbara, beating Ken Hanson (Optum-Kelly Benefit Strategies) and Gianni Meersman (Omega Pharma-QuickStep) into second and third. More significantly, stage three winner Peter Sagan (Cannondale) was back in fifth. It's Farrar's first victory this season.
Janier Acevedo (Jamis) retains the overall lead on a day that saw no changes to the top order of the general classification.
Thursday's stage five takes the riders from Santa Barbara to Avila Beach over 185km. The race concludes on Sunday, May 19.
Tour of California 2013, stage four: Santa Clarita to Santa Barbara, 134.5km
1. Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin-Sharp in 3-14-09
2. Ken Hanson (USA) Optum-Kelly Benefit
3. Gianni Meersman (Bel) Omega Pharma-QuickStep
4. Kris Boeckmans (Bel) Vacansoleil-DCM
5. Peter Sagan (Svk) Cannondale
6. Michael Matthews (Aus) Orica-GreenEdge
7. Thor Hushovd (Nor) BMC Racing
8. Sylvain Chavanel (Fra) Omega Pharma-QuickStep
9. Jeremy Vennell (NZl) Bissell
10. Jasper Stuyven (Bel) Bontrager all same time
Overall classification after stage four
1. Janier Acevedo (Col) Jamis-Hagens Berman in 17-13-59
2. Tejay van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing at 12 secs
3. Philip Deignan (Irl) United Healthcare at 27 secs
4. Mathias Frank (Swi) BMC Racing at 45 secs
5. Michael Rogers (Aus) Saxo-Tinkoff at 55 secs
6. Francisco Mancebo (Spa) 5 Hour Energ at 1-03
7. Chad Haga (USA) Optum-Kelly Benefit Strategies at 1-13
8. Matthew Busche (USA) RadioShack-Leopard at 1-15
9. Lawson Craddock (USA) Bontrager at 1-32
10. Cameron Meyer (Aus) Orica-GreenEdge at 1-40