Chris Froome tops latest UCI WorldTour ranking
Nairo Quintana, Chris Froome and Joaquim Rodriguez on podium, Tour de France 2013, stage 21
Chris Froome has taken the top position in the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) WorldTour ranking after winning the 2013 Tour de France.
The British Sky rider's tally of 587 points bumps previous leader Peter Sagan (Cannondale) down into second place with 409 points. Joaquim Rodriguez (Katusha) moves up to third place with 390 points after placing third overall at the Tour.
Tour sensation Nairo Quintana (Movistar) elevated himself from 13th in the ranking to fourth after placing second overall in the Tour. The Colombian climber had previously placed fourth in the Tour of Catalonia in March and won the Tour of the Basque Country in April.
In addition to the WorldTour points that Froome collected with his overall win and three stage victories at the Tour, he has won the Tour de Romandie and Criterium du Dauphine and placed second overall in Tirreno-Adriatico. No other rider has been more consistent throughout the season so far.
Froome's Tour points, as well as those collected by sprinter Mark Cavendish (Omega Pharma-QuickStep), has elevated Great Britain up into second place in the WorldTour ranking-by-nation behind leaders Spain. Cavendish himself moves up to 20th in the rider ranking.
British-based squad Sky are the top-ranked team, with Spanish outfit Movistar in second.
The next counting event in the WorldTour will be the Tour of Poland, starting on July 27 and finishing on August 3.
The UCI's WorldTour Ranking is compiled using a points system, with points awarded for one-day race, tour stage and stage race overall finishing positions for events in the UCI's WorldTour.
The amount of points awarded depends on the ranking of the event. For example, winning the Tour de France overall gives a rider twice as many points as winning the Eneco Tour overall.
UCI WorldTour rankings (as at July 21 after the Tour de France)
1. Chris Froome (GBr) Sky 587 points
2. Peter Sagan (Svk) Cannondale 409 points
3. Joaquim Rodriguez (Spa) Katusha 390 points
4. Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar 366 points
5. Fabian Cancellara (Sui) RadioShack-Leopard 351 points
8. Daniel Martin (Irl) Garmin-Sharp 287 points
10. Mark Cavendish (GBr) Omega Pharma-QuickStep
27. Geraint Thomas (GBr) Sky 117 points
52. Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky 59 points
65. Ian Stannard (GBr) Sky 40 points
99. Alex Dowsett (GBr) Movistar 16 points
136. David Millar (GBr) Garmin-Sharp 4 points
180. Andy Fenn (GBr) Omega Pharma-QuickStep 1 point
1. Spain 1171 points
2. Great Britain 964 points
3. Colombia 950 points
1. Sky 1360 points
2. Movistar 1055 points
3. Katusha 941 points
UCI WorldTour calendar 2013