John Degenkolb wins Vattenfall Cyclassics
John Degenkolb wins Vattenfall Cyclassics 2013
John Degenkolb (Argos-Shimano) took the bunch sprint at the end of the 2013 edition of the Vattenfall Cyclassics in Hamburg, Germany, on Sunday.
Degenkolb made up for a disappointing Tour de France campaign by out-pacing his rivals to scoop the one-day WorldTour race - only his second victory of the season after taking a stage of the Giro d'Italia in May.
Andre Greipel (Lotto-Belisol) came home for second, with Alexander Kristoff (Katusha) in third.
British rider Ian Stannard (Sky) had been part of a late attacking group, but they were caught in the finale to set up the inevitable bunch gallop.
Jonny McEvoy (NetApp-Endura) was the highest-placed British rider at the finish, in 57th spot and nine seconds behind Degenkolb.
Vattenfall Cyclassics 2013, 246km
1. John Degenkolb (Ger) Argos-Shimano in 5-45-16
2. Andre Greipel (Ger) Lotto Belisol at same time
3. Alexander Kristoff (Nor) Katusha at 1 sec
4. Jose Rojas (Spa) Movistar
5. Elia Viviani (Ita) Cannondale
6. Boy Van Poppel (Ned) Vacansoleil-DCM
7. Nikolas Maes (Bel) Omega Pharma-QuickStep
8. Thor Hushovd (Nor) BMC Racing
9. Matti Breschel (Den) Saxo-Tinkoff
10. Arnaud Demare (Fra) FDJ all same time
John Degenkolb celebrates in Hamburg