Derby hosts opening round of the 2016 British Cycling National Trophy Cyclo-cross Series
- Photos by Andy Jones
Belgian Yorben Van Tichelt (Marlux-Napoleon Games) took the victory in the elite men’s race in the opening round of the 2016 British Cycling National Trophy Cyclo-cross Series in Derby on Sunday. Hannah Payton (Kinesis UK) won the elite women’s race.
Van Tichelt had been duelling with Ian Field (Hargroves Cycles-Ridley) for the majority of the race, with the two neck-and-neck. However, the Belgian sprinted ahead of Field to take the win, and with it the series leader’s jersey.
Van Tichelt’s team-mate Angelo De Clercq (Marlux-Napoleon Games) placed third to give the visiting squad two places on the elite men’s podium.
In the elite women’s race, Payton finished ahead of Annie Simpson (Hope Factory Racing) with Bethany Crumpton (BootOutBreastCancer) in third. Defending series champion Payton led from the front in a fast-paced race in dry conditions at Derby’s Moorways Leisure Centre.
In other categories, Thomas Pidcock (Oldfield/Paul Milnes) won the junior men’s event; Isla Rowntree (Islabikes) the veteran women’s; Kris Lapere (Annequin Cycling Team) the over-40 vets; and Chris Young (Pedalsport) the over-50s vets.
In the Youth categories, Max Rushby (Pedalsport) was victories in the under-16 boys race; Finlay Pickering (Hull Thursday) the under-14 boys; Harriet Harnden (T-Mo Racing) the under-16 girls; and Millie Couzens (Zappi’s) the under-14 girls.
British Cycling National Trophy Cyclo-Cross series, round 1, Derby
1. Yorben Van Tichelt (Marlux-Napoleon Games) in 1-03-22
2. Ian Field (Hargroves CyclesRidley RT) at 2 secs
3. Angelo De Clercq (Marlux-Napoleon Games) at 2-02
4. Nicholas Barnes (Hargroves-Ridley RT) at 2-06
5. Billy Harding (Oldfield/Paul Milnes Cycles )
6. Jack Clarkson (Hope Factory Racing) at same time
7. Jan Denuwelaere (Mahieu Kona) at 2-07
8. Paul Oldham (Hope Factory Racing) at same time
9. Michael Butler (Hargroves-Ridley RT) at 2-08
10. Giles Drake (Leisure Lakes Bikes.com) at same time
1. Hannah Payton (Team Kinesis UK) in 45-55
2. Annabel Simpson (Hope Factory Racing) at 24 secs
3. Bethany Crumpton (BootOutBreastCancer) at 1 lap
4. Ffion James (Abergavenny RC) at 1 lap
5. Louise Mahe (Les Filles Racing Team) at 1 lap
6. Elspeth Grace (Welwyn Wheelers CC) at 1 lap
7. Jo Tindley (Team Ford Ecoboost) at 1 lap
8. Sophie Thackray (SunSport Velo) at 1 lap
9. Madeleine Gammons (RP Vision RT) at 1 lap
10. Fiona Turnbull (Speedflex Race Team) at 1 lap