Emma Pooley earns right to wear national champ's jersey, Katie Archibald second, Sarah Storey third in Wales
Emma Pooley completed her hat-trick of British time trial titles in Newport today as she won a race for the first time in nearly a year.
The 31-year-old Lotto-Belisol rider completed the challenging 20.4-kilometre course around Newport in 30 minutes 18 seconds, with Pearl Izumi Sports Tours International duo Katie Archibald and Sarah Storey completing the podium and beating the strong Wiggle-Honda trio.
However, the day belonged to Pooley, who previously triumphed in the event in 2009 and 2010. It was also her first victory since she claimed the Tour de Feminin on July 7 last year.
“It’s special because it’s been a while since I won I race,” she said. “It’s been a few years since I’ve ridden the Championships – actually I think every time I’ve ridden it I’ve won it.
“I really liked the course. It was pretty technical, it was interesting, and there was never more than a few kilometres without a corner or a hill. That tests more than just the power of a rider.”
Storey’s third place matched her best from the event in 2011, while Archibald’s performance was arguably the day’s stand-out ride.
The 20-year-old GB endurance rider told CW that she was flabbergasted with her second-placed finish.
“I couldn’t believe it. It was so painful, I didn’t think I could finish in so much pain and yet still do a good ride,” said Archibald.
“I love this kind of terrain, because it turned the course into intervals, which is what I’m best at.”
Defending champion Joanna Rowsell finished sixth, while last year’s runner-up Lizzie Armitstead (Boels-Dolmans) did not take the start.
British Time Trial Championships, women’s race, Newport
1. Emma Pooley (Lotto-Belisol) 20.4km in 30-18
2. Katie Archibald (Pearl Izumi Sports Tours International) at 0-39
3. Sarah Storey (Pearl Izumi Sports Tours International) at 0-51
4. Elinor Barker (Wiggle Honda) at 1-04
5. Laura Trott (Wiggle Honda) at 1-09
6. Joanna Rowsell (Wiggle Honda) at 1-23
7. Lucy Coldwell (Velosport – Pasta Montegrappa) at 1-25
8. Danielle King (Wiggle Honda) at 2-10
9. Emily Robertson (CC Luton) at 2-48
10. Claire Galloway (Pearl Izumi Sports Tours International) at 2-53